Apr 24

Cisco releases 64bit VPN client.

Cisco has finally released a 64bit version of their IPSEC client.

I used to always use the Cisco VPN client to  establish a VPN connection to my business network. I stopped using it when I upgraded my main laptop to Windows Vista x64 back in 2006. The client back then wasn’t compatible with a 64 bit operating system, and Cisco didn’t have plans to develop a compatible version.

I always liked the Cisco VPN client, but I was forced to look for an alternative. I refused to change my operating system choice just for one application. Every other application I used back then was able to run on the 64 bit platform. I could have probably used the 32 bit version of Vista instead with no problems, but that’s just  the way I am sometimes – stubborn ;) .

I ended up just changing VPN clients.  I don’t use IPSEC anymore, and I use the native Windows 7 client to establish the VPN connection to my network. I like the way Windows 7 is working for me in that respect.  It is easy and seamless. I won’t use the Cisco client at this point, but it is good to know that Cisco has finally decided to release the client.

And who knows – I am always changing stuff around. I could end up using it again.

The following link takes you to the release notes for the client – http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client5007/release/notes/vpnclient5007.html

Share
Apr 21

Blue Screens and Restarts on Windows computers after a McAfee definition update.

I got a call today from one of my customers. There were some virus alerts on some of the computers at their office, and, according to my customer, the computers started crashing. When I got on site, I realized some computers had experienced BSODs. I looked into the issue a little bit more and found out that the problem had been caused by a McAfee update released today. The issue was being experienced by a lot of people, and McAfee released a knowledge base article acknowledging the issue. You can find the KB article here.

Instructions on how to overcome this problem are found on that KB article.

Apparently there was a false positive detection of w32/wecorl.a in the  5958 DAT definition file. McAfee released a new definition file shortly after. You can find this new definition file here.

False positive detection of w32/wecorl.a in 5958 DAT

Share